Giving Back to our Industry
is related to Kirby’s core values
Seaman’s Church Institute
North America’s largest mariner’s service agency providing spiritual support, maritime education and legal advocacy to thousands of mariners and port workers. In the last 5 years, Kirby has donated more than $1 million to the institute. Kirby donated a wheelhouse training simulator to the institute which is used to provide navigational training to 1,600 mariners each year. Many of Kirby’s officers give their time and expertise to help the institute.
U.S. Coast Guard Foundation
Focuses on the well-being, education, and morale of the men and women of the U.S. Coast Guard and their families. Kirby has proudly supported this organization for more than 30 years.
Galveston Bay Foundation
Promotes advocacy, conservation, education, and research related to Galveston Bay. Kirby has been a major contributor to the foundation for many years and participates in annual clean-ups of Galveston Bay and donates a vessel to assist
Other Industry Associations and Foundations
Other Organizations Sponsored
Supporting our Employees and Communities when Disaster Strikes
to provide our employees and their families support and resources when they need it most.
The Kirby Disaster Relief Fund
Nonprofit charitable organization that provides support to Kirby employees, families, and communities affected by natural disasters or qualified family hardship. Kirby matches all employee contributions to the fund at 100%.
Teams and emergency supplies are ready to deploy to affected areas to protect and aid employees and their families when natural disasters occur including hurricanes, tornadoes and flooding. Kirby has a long history of assisting distressed people and vessels on the water
Employee Benefits & Engagement
At Kirby, our employees are our most important assets. Engagement looked slightly different during the COVID-19 pandemic, but we continued to stay committed to their success through a variety of different means. Wellness, education and training, and employee engagement create positive morale and a family friendly atmosphere.
Corporate Culture Survey Insights:
focus and clear strategic direction
focus and clear strategic direction
Marine Transportation – Training & Education
Pictured above are new deckhands learning and practicing proper
line throwing from a Kirby instructor.
- The Kirby Training Center located in Channelview, TX, utilizes state-of-the-art equipment, instructional aids and has a full mission
bridge simulator to provide US Coast Guard approved certifications and training.
- Over the last 4 years, almost 5,000 certificates have been earned in subjects such as safety, seamanship, boat and barge operations and navigation by our crewmembers.
- In 2020, with the COVID-19 pandemic causing disruptions to our business and limiting social interactions, Kirby was still able to
complete nearly 1,000 training courses.
Distribution and Services – Training & Education
Pathways to Diversity
Kirby is making inroads in diversity…
Our people are the most important asset we have at Kirby, and our Core Values promote a workplace that values mutual respect, knowledge sharing, and teamwork. We continue to advance our “People” core value through our ongoing efforts around promoting our culture and workforce development. Our current initiatives include robust hiring and promotion practices, our leadership development training initiatives, and our corporate-wide inclusion and diversity training. This training is provided to managers and employees to support continued advancement and includes coaching, mentorship, and effective feedback.
- Elected first female board member in 2015 and second in 2019
- Elected a new racially/ethnically diverse board member in 2021
- Females represent 22% of the Executive Leadership including:
- VP, General Counsel & Corporate Secretary
- VP and Chief Human Resources Officer
- Females represent ~28% of the managerial and professional staff
- Directors and Vice Presidents in Finance/Accounting, Marketing, Legal, Human Resources, and E-Commerce
- All employees are required to complete diversity and inclusion training in 2021